Architects are often on the go, and it’s essential to have robust portable tools in your arsenal.
Our project management software for architects is cross-platform and you can access your PlanMan homebase from any device, be it an iPad or any other tablet. This lets you have all your documents, your correspondence, and co-consultant reports available at all times.
Many architects prefer to stick to laptops instead of tablets – and that makes sense because of how versatile and durable work laptops in 2023 are.
Let’s review some of the major laptop options you have as an architect in 2023.
Dell Precision 7540
When it comes to powerhouses in the realm of architecture and design, the Dell Precision 7540 stands out as a time-tested workhorse that’s still very much relevant in 2023.
Crafted with meticulous attention to the needs of professionals like you, this is more than just a simple upgrade to your device arsenal. It is an asset that can amplify your creativity to new heights.
Here’s a list of the most commonly named Dell Precision 7540 advantages:
- It has unparalleled processing speed, ideal for running intensive software used in architecture and design;
- The high-resolution display ensures every detail of your design stands out, providing you with the most authentic visuals for your work;
- The battery life is impressive, lasting through long project hours which makes it perfect for professionals constantly on-the-go;
- The build quality of the Dell Precision 7540 is excellent, ensuring durability that stays true to the device’s premium nature.
This laptop comes with an Intel Core i9-9980HK processor. The Intel Core i9 processor provides the efficiency and power architects require to handle heavier workloads. This means faster drafting software rendering and smooth operation of software programs like AutoCAD or 3DS Max with minimal lag.
With Nvidia Quadro P3200 graphics, you get the visual power required to handle demanding architectural design tasks. You can work with intricate designs, analyse 3D models and create visually stunning presentations during visioning workshops.
You will also appreciate the generous storage options of up to 3TB. This means your portfolio of designs, drawings, and other critical files are always within reach. We offer flexible and sufficient document storage and management options within PlanMan but you can keep some of your work-in-progress and backup files offline too using this laptop.
Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2023) Specs
If you’ve been looking into Apple’s product range for your architectural needs, there’s no doubt that the MacBook Pro 16-inch (2023) is worthy of your attention. This high-end machine stands firmly as one of the top laptops for architects in 2023.
Nested within the sleek, all aluminium body of the MacBook Pro 16-inch 2023 are some impressive specs:
Apple M1 Pro or M1 Max, configurable to up to 10-core CPU for that additional power needed for creating advanced architectural designs.
Embedded with up to 32-core GPU, it is capable of rendering complex 3D models in a snap, giving architects a seamless experience.
Up to 64GB of unified memory, ensuring smooth multitasking even with a multitude of architecture apps open simultaneously.
Available from 512GB SSD, scaling to a massive 8TB SSD. This vast storage space ensures that you never run out of room for your extensive project files.
The gorgeous Retina display offers true-to-life colours and high contrast ratios, which is a delight for design works and renders. Beyond that, the 16.2-inch Liquid Retina XDR display provides plenty of workspace.
This MacBook has a battery that can last up to 21 hours. This would allow you to work even when there’s a power cut, or you are on the go. It provides you with the flexibility to continue working, whether you’re en route to a client meeting, at the construction site, or even at a coffee shop.
For any architect in the UK, the MacBook Pro 16-inch (2023) offers unparalleled capability and a user-friendly experience. While the cost is on the higher side, it’s about investing in a tool that will elevate your creative process to new heights. It’s about making the decision to invest in the best.
HP ZBook Fury 15 G7
This laptop is equipped with an Intel Core i9 processor, speeding up rendering times which is a crucial factor in the architectural workspace.
For those who often grapple with graphics-intensive tasks in architecture, the NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 graphics card in this machine is a showstopper.
Memory and Storage
Running memory-intensive applications is a common demand for architects. To meet this need, the HP ZBook Fury 15 G7 offers up to 128GB of RAM and has up to 10TB of storage to store a plethora of projects and vast files efficiently.
The 15.6-inch 4K UHD display shows your designs in the best light. It also supports 100% DCI P3 colour spectrum for outstanding colour accuracy.
Despite its powerful specs, this machine is impressively portable, weighing in at about 2.35 kg. Ideal for architects who are always on the move!
With these specifications, the HP ZBook Fury 15 G7 is undeniably a high-performance machine designed to handle all architectural design and modelling tasks, as well as resource-demanding collaboration software. If the MacBook Pro remains a bit steep for your budget, this could be a highly suitable alternative.
Lenovo ThinkPad P1 (Gen 4)
This model is another impressive option for a laptop for architectural work. Lenovo ThinkPad P1 (Gen 4) is a professional-grade workhorse that has a lot to offer to meet the demanding needs of an architect.
Here’s a list of features that make this Lenovo stand out:
- It has a great performance level that handles multitasking and heavy architectural software with ease.
- The 4K OLED display renders high-resolution visuals and supports billions of colours – perfect for photorealistic renderings and detailed designs. Architects will appreciate the high-resolution OLED screen, which delivers excellent precision in colour and detail. This feature enhances the readability and visual presentation of complex architectural designs and graphical illustrations.
- Its extensive storage options allow you to keep all your projects and resources in one place without worrying about running out of space.
Weighing in at only 1.7 kg and possessing a slim profile, the Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 4 doesn’t compromise on power or portability.
Which laptop should you choose?
While choosing a laptop you need to focus on your priorities – both budget- and usability-wise.
In a nutshell, any laptop would work fine for an architect, as long as it ticks a few specific boxes:
- Processor: A minimum of an Intel Core i7 or its equivalent is recommended for smooth running of design software. The more cores the better.
- RAM: Minimum 16GB, but preferentially 32GB or higher to handle bigger files and multitasking.
- GPU: A discrete GPU to render heavy graphics, 3D modelling, and renderings quickly and efficiently.
- Display: High-resolution screen (at least Full HD) for detailed work.
- SSD: A solid-state drive for faster loading of apps and files.
- Memory: Minimum of 256GB, but ideally 512GB or more of SSD for saving large files.
Finally, we’re pleased to remind you that PlanMan is specifically designed for architects and compatible with any device. It’s intuitive, powerful, and designed to streamline your workflows, no matter which laptop you choose.
With powerful features like task allocation, progress tracking, and collaboration tools, you’ll wonder how you managed without it. Try it out today!